Religion

Here's something that's been weighing on me, and I figured I'd throw it out there to my  loyal reader(s) (hi, mom!).


It used to be, back in the day, that we all basically got our news and opinions from, well, the news. Or other journalistic publications. You'd get the gossip around town, and that was about it. Thanks to the internet, not only does everyone have an opinion, but everyone thinks everyone else wants to hear about it. Yes, I realize I also fall into that category here - and it's not all bad. But there are inflammatory topics, like religion, that come up quite a bit. Being for or against, having some sort of agenda, poking fun at the "stupidity" of people who have differing views. 


Christianity takes a big hit. And because I identify as Christian, sometimes these things get to me, especially the snide jabs from so-called "tolerant" people. 


However...


Quite often I read something that takes a shot at Christianity and, frankly, I understand where it's coming from. Where someone who thinks they are like me does something shameful. Hateful. Where there is idiocy, judgement and the "better-than-thou" airs. Or people who simply regurgitate what they've been told, never once thinking of figuring it out for themselves, of using the brains God gave them. 


To me, "religion" is a dirty word. Religion means tradition, rules, regulations, dogma. It means all of those things above all else, including spirituality, knowledge and understanding. It means all of those things instead of a lifestyle, a connection to God, and of striving to be better. It means that people can spit back whatever they've been told at church, that they can feel better than others, that their spiritual existance is reduced to a list full of rules - that they themselves must follow, and so must others or be deemed inferior. It means that if they can follow those rules by rote, they feel they have done what's expected of them and gained favour in the eyes of God. 


Well, I call bullshit. 


Spirituality, Christianity, to me is about learning. About trying to be the best person I can be. It's about accepting that I'm not perfect, I will never be perfect. I won't ever know it all, and I can't even try. It means doing my best to live my life as an example, not to waste my life cramming my beliefs down others throats. It means loving people who maybe aren't very lovable. It means looking out for the well-being of those weaker and needier than I am. It means accepting that not everyone thinks like I do, and maybe I can't change that, but it doesn't change me - and it certainly doesn't threaten me.



I don't believe that science and spirituality are mutually exclusive. I don't feel like a traitor because I love science, and I don't feel like an idiot because I believe in something that lacks empirical data. I believe in balance. 


Okay well there's a lot that people say that I don't agree with. But these are some of the things that, to me, don't line up with Christianity.

- The idea that as Christians we should enclose ourselves in a church environment. Only having church friends, only going to church activities. Closing ourselves off and living in a bubble. What is the point of that? To not "pollute" ourselves? According to scripture we are meant to set an example. To help people. To get out there. Jesus did not hang around the church folk, in fact he condemned their actions because they were too hung up on their rules, and had lost sight of their spirituality and the people they should have been serving. We are not better than anyone, we don't require insulation to maintain our so-called "purity", and if anything we are missing our calling if we cocoon that way.

- The idea that women are second to their husbands and need to obey every command. We are all created unique and as individuals, with our own strengths and weaknesses. Marriage is meant to strengthen us, to help us grow, to let us be something that perhaps we couldn't be alone. It's not meant to tear us down, to scold us, to take away our sense of self. We all had parents already. We don't live in the dark ages. And again, there's nothing wrong with us "little ladies" using our own brains.

- The idea that true Christianity and oppression of the poor, sick and needy can co-exist. I truly believe this is a farce. That people who least want to help puff themselves up behind a charade of religion. "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27 I don't believe that this is referring strictly to orphans and widows, per se, but rather as an illustration for those who cannot help themselves, for whatever reason. People who need a hand up. People who are suffering. People who are sick, hurt - physically or emotionally damaged. Both terms, orphans and widows, imply a level of helplessness to address the situation. And those are the people who should be priority to us.

A phrase that I use quite often the last few years is, "But for the grace of God, there go I." When I see girls selling their bodies on the corner. When I see the addicts downtown. When I see the homeless and destitute our in the streets. Because I know that most of those people grew up in their own private hell, just like I did. I have a lot - by my own standards. I'm not rich by any means, I struggle sometimes. But I live a relatively peaceful life, I have a husband who loves me and two boys who I adore. Sometimes I wonder what's different about me, what made me strong when others were crushed. I think about how I was so full of depression and hate as a teenager that I wanted to die, that I did my best to destroy myself, that I starved myself, that I repeatedly attempted suicide, and at times I was in so much pain inside that I couldn't imagine living another minute. I understand what makes a person try to escape. Sometimes I'm amazed that I made it out alive. I'm not better than any of those people. I could have been them. I can't explain why I'm not.

Agree or don't. Believe or don't. I've got my own life to live and I won't waste it telling anyone else how to live theirs. I wish that more people would do the same, whatever they believe or don't believe. Have some understanding. Have a little tolerance. Live your own life. KEEP LEARNING! Always think for yourself, because life is too short to live it according to someone else's standards.

Srs.

Comments

Popular Posts