♥‿♥

Ohhh I'm so tricky, I bet nobody expected a blog ON Valentine's Day after my last one...

LOVE SPLATTER BWAAHAHAHA


A lovely friend of mine posted this in a note on Facebook today, and seeing as this, to me, is what love is all about, I'm sharing it.

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13



This is the basis of everything I really believe. It may come off strange, seeing as I am such a snarky and cynical person, but deep down I do believe in the necessity of caring for others. That no matter what else I do in life, if I have no love, it doesn't matter.

Valentine's Day is seen as a romantic holiday, but at its core it's about love. Not all love is romantic, and it should be thought of in all its forms, I think, to really exemplify how great love is.

Love is...

...a mother who wakes up every 2 hours to nurse and comfort a fussy baby, even though she hasn't slept enough in months.

...a busy mother and wife who takes in her own aging parents to care for.

...a friend who goes out of their way to be there for a friend in crisis.

...a family who watches their beloved pet be put to sleep, knowing they are ending its pain.

...a volunteer who works their best to help... the homeless/the poor/the distressed.

...a father who accepts a step child, and then drops the "step" from his vocabulary.

and too many more to list.

I often refer back to the parent/child relationship simply because I feel like it's the purest form of love there is. Especially with a newborn, there is no reciprocity. No paybacks. No thank you's. You have this bundle of human who can do nothing for you except steal your sleep and demand, demand, demand. And yet the human race hasn't died out, we do it over and over again, why? When my first son was born I fell in love. Instantly and completely. I loved him like I had never loved anyone before. I loved him for who he was, what he represented... I loved his face, his hands, his toes. I needed him because he needed me. We were buddies, we did everything together. And he was colicky, and I was exhausted, and in photos I look like a zombie. Literally. Not my best look. But he was my everything. And it didn't matter that he couldn't do a thing for me, nor would he care to if he could.

And in that relationship I did all the things that seem harder to do with my husband. I forgave him when he wasn't perfect. I forgot the bad he did and remembered the good. I celebrated his successes like they were my own. I comforted, I cared for, I guided, I supported.

In romantic love it's so easy to forget the simplicity of love. Love without expectation. Wanting what's best for them. Forgetting all the little failings, remembering all the triumphs. Without jealousy, without pettiness.

I'm working on it.

So Happy Valentine's Day y'all, I hope you have a great one.

Comments

Popular Posts